A crew from the National Housing Corporation was this morning repairing the cover on a 100 feet deep well in which a teenage boy plunged to his death yesterday at Martin Road, the Pine, St. Michael.
But friends and relatives of the deceased 17-year-old Kyrique Boyce, say the repairs are too little too late and are planning to sue the state-owned National Housing Corporation for negligence, alleging that the agency’s failure to act contributed to the young man’s death.
A day after the tragic incident the anger and outrage in the Pine community has not abated as Kyrique’s friends and neighbours mourned the death of the former student of the St. Lucy Secondary School who they say was about to start his first job and was already planning celebrations for his 18th birthday which would have been next month.
His friend Donisha Dottin says the community will not let the issue rest as they have been pleading for the cover on that well to be repaired.
But the Pine residents say the well problem is one of a list of issues they have on the state-constructed housing estate that range from mould to faulty wiring.
Donisha and neighbour Lisa Hackett told us that the electrical wiring in some of the units is a fire hazard.
They appealed to us to ensure that their full story is told.
Meantime, Minister in the Ministry of Housing, Charles Griffith, says the National Housing Corporation had recently implemented a scheduled maintenance programme for its estates. But he’s told Starcom Network News that given yesterday’s tragic circumstance, the work has to be accelerated.
Mr. Griffith says over the years maintenance on the NHC estates has been neglected but efforts are now being made to address the issue.